a public water works, chlorine gas leaked from Chlorine
7-10-2003 at 17.45 hrs.
Incident : Chlorine gas leaked at about 17.45
hrs. Contractor Supervisor was on the job noticed
the leakage. He immediately informed Chemist / Supervisor
of filtration Plant. He rushed to the site at 18.00
hrs. And checked the tonner, connection etc. and noticed
the leakages of Chlorine gas from valve spindle. He
immediately called the fire brigade. Fire-brigade
personnel came to site and tried to close the leakages
of Chlorine gas. However it could not be controlled.
At last, they pushed the toner in the alkali pit.
At night 01-30 hrs. after ensuring that. Chlorine
gas is emptied out from the tonner; the tonner was
taken out from the pit and placed at a safe place.
Cause of the incident: Leakage of chlorine
gas from valve spindle of the tonner.
Area and persons affected: People residing
in nearby area were affected due to leakage of chlorine
gas and 74 people were hospitalized.
Action taken for non-repetition of such incidents:
(1) Emergency kit for chlorine shall be provided and
(2) FRP hood shall be provided around chlorine tonner
to restrict leaked gas from
(3) Two nos. of self-breathing apparatus shall be
provided and workers shall
be given periodical training
to handle it safely in case of emergency.
(4) Arrangement shall be made for special training
to the workers to handle